Baby Steps

“We think we dare not be satisfied with the small measure of spiritual knowledge, experience and love that has been given to us, and that we must constantly be looking forward eagerly for the highest good.”

Dietrich Bonhoeffer goes on to say that we should be grateful even where there is no great experience and discoverable riches, but much weakness, small faith and difficulty.

I am reminded of the verse in James that says, “Count it all joy, my brethren when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.” James 1:2-4

Now this doesn’t mean that it’s all going to arrive at your doorstep in a perfect little box, so that you just have to “put on” perfection, no I think that the perfecting of our faith, if you will, comes in the form of baby steps, (I can’t write or say that without thinking of Bill Murray in the movie “What about Bob”) but baby steps they are. Our salvation may have been a moment in time that we can pinpoint, but our sanctification is more of a process, a pilgrimage or a journey.

The difficulty, weakness and small faith that we experience in our lives, over the course of months or even years; does produce growth no matter how imperceptible it seems to be.

This post is mostly for me, I'm certain that the three readers of my blog have already arrived at perfection's doorstep.

What think ye?

Comments

Kimberly said…
Such a good reminder. I get frustrated when I don't see personal growth by leaps and bounds. (Which means constant frustration since growth doesn't come quickly!!!) :)
I love how you put that there is growth, even when we cannot really see it.
I think of my kids...I cannot look at them each and every day and see noticable physical growth. But if I look at pictures from a year ago, wow, they have changed so much!
I need to quit scrutinizing myself and surrender to the pilgrimage. He will help me grow in His perfect timing if I will stay surrendered to Him. And one day I will look back and see tremendous growth.
Wow...wasn't planning to go on and on! Sorry!
Hope you have a truly blessed day on your pilgrimage!
In Him,
Kimberly :)
Lysa TerKeurst said…
"Our salvation may have been a moment in time that we can pinpoint, but our sanctification is more of a process, a pilgrimage or a journey."

Now that is some good writing girlfriend! So true and so worth remembering!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Sprouted Whole Wheat Bread

4-H Modeling and the Wardrobe Malfunction