About two months ago, my dear husband let me know about an opportunity for Chaplain's spouses, so that we could attend some classes at the Army Chaplain School. I thought back then it was just a dream, a very expensive dream that would never come true.
I thought it was a great opportunity and as I'm so new to this whole Army ministry thing, I could sure learn alot, but I was resigned to the fact that I would not be able to go. There were too many details, too much to try and coordinate, I didn’t think I could take care of it all.
I prayed about it, thinking that God would not have this excursion in His Eternal plan for my life, and I left it in God’s hands. My dear husband asked me if I had thought about it, and if I could actually come. Wow, I didn’t realize that Bear had been praying about it too.
The details were too complicated, how would I fly by myself with 5 kids (too expensive) how would we get around once we got there, I’d have to rent a minivan, (too expensive). What if I just went by myself, could I farm out all the kids to friends and family? My family would be willing to take them, but I’d have to drive them all the way to Idaho or Utah, then they’d be missing school, I didn’t want that. Then I’d have to fly out of Salt Lake City, and fly back to SLC and I couldn’t fly with Bear on the return trip, and I didn’t want that.
I put out a family request on our email list and prayed. I thought if I could just arrange something for the kids, (or rather if God would arrange for their care, then I could go.) After a few days of praying for it to happen but thinking it never would, my family came to my aid. My mother and niece could come, but didn’t want to drive all that way, 15 hours with Leeshie’s one year old. Leeshie’s cousin, my nephew suggested that airfare would be just the same as gas for that trip, so I purchased tickets for them to fly here.
Plans were taking shape; God is amazing in the details. Gram and Leesh were flying here, the kids could stay in school and not miss any days, and would feel more comfortable in their own home for that length of time.
Then Bear found out he needed to have hernia surgery, but couldn’t miss any more days of classes, so the Army would hold him over to operate after his school graduation. That meant another change of plans, new tickets and longer schedules for all parties involved.
My mom was unable to stay for the whole time but did offer to stay for nearly a week more. Another niece of mine was getting married and they needed to be back in Utah for the wedding.
I called a friend from our previous church inquiring if there were any college age girls who would like a nanny job for a few days. She didn’t know of any, but after thinking about it, decided that she could take the time off work and do it for me. Just let you know she works for a national tax preparation company and she’ll be taking days off work during their very busy tax-crunch time.
So, I’m going, tickets have been purchased, schedules have been arranged details worked out in a way that I could never have done on my own. I was even able to make up some freezer meals so that most of the work is done already.
Grammy and Leesh arrive tomorrow and I am leaving on Sunday morning to go see my husband. I haven’t seen him in 3 months, and we’ll get to spend really quality time together, with no children to interrupt for a few days. We’ve been married for 20 years and we’ve never had an opportunity like this.
And now a prayer request, it seems that whenever Daddy is gone, someone breaks something or needs stitches, Chels has already broken her arm, and we’ve had our share of colds, flu, and respiratory infections. Please pray for wellness in my family, no mishaps for Grammy and safety in all of our various travels.
I’m packed and ready to go!! Whoo Hoo!
I'll be gone until about the 15th of April, I'll try and check in from SC, but my dear husband has a Linux computer, which I don't like to use, plus who wants to sit around and blog when there's a sweet husband needing some attention in the other room, wink, wink.