I have a friend...

Isn't that a nice way to start a post?

Everyone should have a friend.
I would have to say that she is my oldest friend. That is not to say that she is the oldest friend that I have, but she is the one whom I have known the longest. We probably met in our church's nursery. She is 9 months and one day older than me. We went through grade school, Jr high together and then I moved over into the next school district. Not too far, but far enough that we didn't hang out like we used to.

I graduated high school, she graduated high school and then life got underway and I haven't seen her in years.

She comforted me during my father's illness and death. She has shared with me joys and sadness through the years.

It is so nice to be able to just pick up where we left off last. I never hear, "I called you last, it's your turn!" or "I'm not writing another letter until she returns one to me!"

She's been there for me through the years, and she's come to my rescue again.
Without any prompting, other than me stating my goals, she has given me great encouragement and concrete direction so that if I follow her advice I will be assured of meeting those goals.

Now that's a friend.

Here is an excerpt from her last note to me.
"I made a goal to work out 6 days a week and not miss a day. And I am over 300 days and counting. The end of March will be my one year mark. Here is what I did. I made the goal that I would work out for at least 25 minutes a day -- and it counted as long as I hadn't gone to bed yet.

It didn't have to be intense. I just had to do it. And so I began. Sometimes it was in the evening. Sometimes it was in the morning. Sometimes I was literally in my pajamas and barefoot. On the elliptical. For 25 minutes. But I did it. And I developed the habit of exercising.

Because I am going to have to do it for the rest. of. my. life."

Oh, my gosh!! Fat girl inside me is screaming! I don't wanna do this for the rest of my life! Isn't there an easier way? Isn't there a pill? A shot? A surgery, a suction, a something?

This is where my "self" takes over and what I know to be true in my heart is wrestled to floor and subdued with a slice of cheesecake.

I really do know that it takes hard work. I really do know that Fat girl didn't move in overnight. She came in one spple fritter, and one Biggie size french fry at a time.

And oh, she didn't come alone. She brought with her some of her friends too. She brought Sloth, Apathy, Busyness, and Blatant disregard for a healthy lifestyle.

But with the help of God, good friends and determination, Fat girl is packing her bags. She's outta here. It's going to take baby steps, and lots of them. Then I'll jack up that Reebok step and take bigger steps. Then we'll tackle long fast walks, and maybe a YMCA class.
I will make it. Skinny girl will take over and be more prominent in my life. I'm afraid that I'll always have a shadow of Fat girl behind me. (In more ways than one, haha!) But I'll make it, with lots of encouragement from old friends.



So, I better get used to it. I better stop being whiny and wimpy. I'd like to stay around long enough to enjoy some more of this good friendship. Love you, Bec.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sprouted Whole Wheat Bread

4-H Modeling and the Wardrobe Malfunction

We have orders