I was country, when country wasn't cool.

Barbara Mandrell and I have something in common.

No, it isn't the perky blonde hair, it's not the flannels shirts, and it's not that we are both fans of Roy Rogers.

The thing we have in common is that we've both been "something" when that "something" wasn't cool.

There is a trend today on the blogs that I read to be "all vintage!" and "back to basics."
I've done that for years, folks.

I don't need Food in Jars or Creative Canning to tell me how to process and can our harvest.

I don't need Passionate Homemaking to tell me the benefits of baby wearing. I just did it. 

I made my own baby sling and wore my last five babies until I could no longer empty the dishwasher without fear of them toppling out of the sling and into the dishes. I did it because "hands free" is practical.  When I could set the baby down, believe me, I did. 

I have always done homemade crafts for gifts. Like these and these and these. Seriously, people, I did these in 1985!

I'm so vintage it stinks! I regularly press my sheets on an "very vintage" 1940's Ironrite named Irene.

I even have a vintage Ironrite charm bracelet to wear while I press.

I have a vintage Kenmore sewing machine,

and a sad-iron that I use for a bookend.

Even a vintage potato masher that I used just last night.

I guess I am trendy!
 I'm so cool, it just oozes from every pore. It's just that I don't blog/brag about it, so nobody knows just how cool I am. (Don't you think those two words often have the same meaning?)

I've been making scrap quilts since the 80's too.  Not because scrappy was cool, but because we were poor college students and I could only afford to cut up fabric from the leftovers of a more necessary project.  And we need a pretty bed covering to keep us warm.

I've been wearing aprons all my married life too.  Oh, aren't they so cute and homemaker-ish?
Yes, they are. And practical.  And I'm all about practical.

Does that make me trendy? If you say so.

So I guess I'll just continue to be trendy, and practical, and so very vintage! I may or may not blog about it, so you'll just have to take my word for it.


June Cleaver and Barbara Mandrell have nothing on me.

Comments

MaryLu,
Loved reading your post. Love that you are a practical woman who does things because they work, not because other say this is the current trend. I have several of the same tools and use them for the same reason - They do the job! Hope you continue to honor this part of you throughout your life.
Robin
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry but the very fact that you had to post this in order to slam other bloggers IS bragging. You even had the nerve to slam their blog AND link to it. Nice. Good for you that you're thrifty. That's really neat. But, you need an attitude check. Your blog is whiny. Be grateful once in a while and you might be amazed at how your attitude changes.

And, I'm anonymous because I don't blog. I just somehow stumbled on yours.
Anonymous said…
Anonymous, you missed the point. And you could have signed your name by checking the Option Name/URL under Choose an Identity below the comment box, so I'm guessing that you only posted your own slam because you could hide behind Anonymous.

Perhaps a reading comprehension class would help you understand what this post was really about. My suggestion is you take one before commenting on any more blog posts, so that everyone benefits from your interaction, not just yourself.
Mr. Anonymous,
the fact that you can write something and not sign your name to it says a lot to me. If you are going to write such negative trash to someone then be man enough to sign your name.

CJ
Denise Stripes said…
I love your blog! And Anonymous, you really ought to read a little more closely; clearly you missed something. But MaryLu, why is the iron sad? (Shows how much I know. Hehehe.)
karylsquilts said…
I love this ! Yep and we recycled everything ! old books, furniture (grammas was free) we were frugal (broke), we were green (no credit)
crafty( no $ to buy new). We were so trendy and ahead of our times !!!
Dax said…
I love this!!! This is really so neat. Again, I stumbled across your blog, and I have really enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing this part about you.

Popular posts from this blog

Sprouted Whole Wheat Bread

4-H Modeling and the Wardrobe Malfunction

We have orders